[K12OSN] Fwd: Vmware as base for K12LTSP

Henry Burroughs hburroughs at HHPREP.ORG
Mon Jul 10 18:18:43 UTC 2006

I didn't want to say anything yet (and jynx my project), but I just got
a new server (dual 3.6 GHZ with Hyperthreading) and VMware ESX 3.0.  My
goal is to put my k12ltsp server on top of ESX.  I'll let the list know
how that goes.  It basically is going to inhabit the same server as MS
terminal services, Exchange, and the Linux home directory server...so
it'll be a good stress test at least.  8 Gigs of ram at the moment, but
going up to 12 soon.  My hope with using K12LTSP in a VM is that I can
deploy new versions side by side and migrate users over after I test
it.... and keep the old machine powered off as a backup.

Then I'll still have 3 other servers using VMware server as additional
horsepower for other VMs.

Henry Burroughs
Technology Director
Hilton Head Preparatory School