[K12OSN] Hurrah for Dave Trask! FC5 Samba/LDAP bug identified!

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Tue Jul 11 07:27:03 UTC 2006

Matt...and all,

My honest opinion?  Have the installer do it.  In trolling the net for the
fix, there has been almost no movement on this bug except to post the
"work-around".  Initially I was only going to do "root" and "ldap", but
after checking my logs over and over (I kept finding errors related to
"avahi" and "haldaemon")  An earlier post on this list led me to another
site that confirmed my suspicions.  You'll notice that in the logs (after
the fix) that essentially what is happening is that it allows things to
proceed without stopping or hanging up.  There are pauses in the logs, but
they are in the background and there are only a couple short ones
(seconds) as opposed to the pages and pages that happened prior.

A little more research just now confirms that the fix I mentioned is in
Rawhide as of 7/10/06 (today...ummm....yesterday)

" Current rawhide has "nss_initgroups_ignoreusers
root,ldap,named,avahi,haldaemon" on by default, so there's no more hangup
of named/avahi/dbus/hal "

This tells me that the fix for now will indeed be what we have or will add
to ldap.conf.  So...I see no reason not to go ahead and maybe put in a
note about the line and commenting it out if there are future issues.

As for the "disablerepo=core" thing to fix the yum bug....since this is a
one time install issue, I see no reason not to also include this in the
k12ltsp-5 section of the distro-data.pm file.  This bug hasn't had any
movement at all....last post was in April.  And....since the install only
happens once....it's not something that will affect the future of that
installation.  If it changes or is fixed we can simply post a new
distro_data.pm file.

That's my opinion.  This has been fun...I love sleuthing for bugs....and
more than that I love VMWare which makes it much easier to do so...brought
me back to my roots when I was doing samba/ldap by hand (remember those
days?), but now I need to go to bed....it's 3:30 a.m.  My wife is going to
kill me  ;-)

DT