[K12OSN] NFS?NIS

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Jul 12 13:41:52 UTC 2006

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 17:35:16 +1200, Krsnendu Dasa wrote
> How do I set up /home mounted with nfs on another server?
1> I amlooking at a maximum of 25-30 clients. It is unlikely they
> would online simultaneously. About 70 user accounts.
>
> Currently I have a AMD 2500XP machine with 2 GB Ram and 120GB Sata HD
> running as the K12LTSP (v4.2.1) server. The main thing holding me
> back from updating the server is dealing with the user
> authentication and /home. With this system it would be much easier
> to update even if I still keep only one LTSP server. I have another
> identical box (Actually has a bit less memory at present.) I was
> thinking to use this as Backuppc server, Koha server, Asterisk etc..
> I have a low powered box that I thought would manage the
> authentication and /home. It is only a PII450 128MB RAM. How would
> that manage if I put a sata card in it?

As far as syncing your users to the new box, I'll leave that up to someone
else.  I do not know the best way to get users into LDAP and still retain
correct permissions.

For moving /home, first, build your new /home nfs server.  If you build with a
minimal install or just want to make sure that NFS is is up to date, perform a
"yum install nfs-utils".  Modify "/etc/exports" and add the following line:

/home 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw,no_root_squash,sync)

After that restart NFS (in Fedora "/etc/init.d/nfs restart" will do it).

Then on your old box you need to create a temporary directory such as
/newhome.  Then modifiy your "/etc/fstab" to mount your NFS exported /home to
the /newhome with the following line:

192.168.1.254:/home /newhome nfs suid,dev,exec 0 0

Then run "mount /newhome". Now you should be able to browse /newhome on your
current server, which is really looking at /home on the new server....cool.

Now you need to get all of the data from your current /home to your new
/newhome.  Use the following command to sync data between the two:

rsync -av /home/ /newhome

Be sure to use the trailing slash on /home/.  After a few minutes/hours
depending on how much data you have, your new server's /home will be synced
with your existing....cool.

Now you can issue "umount /newhome".  You can now copy your current /home to a
new directory or zip it into a tarbal (for backup).  Then modify /etc/fstab
again but change the line:

192.168.1.254:/home /newhome nfs suid,dev,exec 0 0

to:

192.168.1.254:/home /home nfs suid,dev,exec 0 0

Now you an run "mount -o remount /home".

And your done!

If I have any errors on the above, or if anyone would simply wish to
correct/verify the above, please do so.

Hope this helps.