[K12OSN] ltsp ldap client setup

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Wed Jul 12 21:17:46 UTC 2006

do this....

slapcat -l filename.ldif

(that's an "L"...and filename can be whatever you wish to name it)

then post the file somewhere for us to download and look at.

Having said that LDAP is a sensitive beast when setting it up...once it's
up she's rock solid.  (once screwup and the whole thing falls apart)
....(a good reason for using the smbldap-installer script....as we've
tested it over and over)  However, I've wasted many hours trying to "fix"
an ldap installation when I'd have been much better off just starting
anew.  Slapcat and slapadd are your friends....once you have an LDAP
database up and running you can back it up (slapcat -l filename.ldif) then
move the file to another LDAP server or simply restore the current ldap
server with (slapadd -l filename.ldif....where filename is the file you
"slapcatted" earlier)....it's a cinch!