[K12OSN] k12 4.4.1 yum errors and missing deps

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Thu Jul 13 03:24:57 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 14:07 -0400, James Kinney wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 19:19 +0800, Gavin Chester wrote:
> > Anybody got any pointers, please?
>
> After a "kitchen sink" install, it is often good to start removing
> things with broken dependencies (especially if it is not used: the less
> installed, the less to maintain). For instance, the ImageMagik is needed
> for the c++ upgrade, so uninstall the existing c++ package with
> ImageMagik.
>
> The other way is to make liberal use of the --exclude <package name> in
> the commandline version of yum. This will dodge the broken dependencies.
>
> If you are using yumex, you can keep dropping packages to be upgraded
> from the queue and rerun the upgrade.
>
> Some of the "<foo> not available" lines look like a repo is marked as
> off. i.e. libcrypto _is_ available but it should be in base or updates.

Thanks for the feedback.  I had hoped to avoid removing packages, but
will follow your suggestion.  As for the package being available from
repo 'x' and my machine not getting it, then it must come down to me
being on the other side of the world (australia) and on dialup as well.
That is, I get yum performing lots of mirror skipping when trying to
pull in rpms and then it often gives up on some repos.

I guess I had hoped that yum would "just work"(tm) ;-)  When I first had
the problem, I read on a fedora list that that some packages were
broken, so part of the reason for my post was to see if others had a
similar problem with yum.  I guess not :-(

Gavin.