[K12OSN] OT - Open-Xchange

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 17:01:36 UTC 2006

On 7/13/06, Petre Scheie <petre at maltzen.net> wrote:
> Another one you might look at is Zimbra, www.zimbra.com.  It's all browser-based, with a
> lot of AJAX so that it seems similar to working with dedicated mail clients.  They have
> a free open source version.  The advantage of Open-Xchange is that it works with

The business I work for has been using the open source version for
some months now.  It seems to work fine for us - using AJAX to mimic
some of the functionality of Outlook (scheduling, address book, etc>)
It recognizes and responds to Outlook schedule requests, putting
accepted requests in the calendar.

If you decide to use Zimbra, be sure to use a sufficiently powerful
system (I'd suggest at least 1 GHz and 512 megs of RAM, since my first
test system (400 MHz) was unbearably slow).

It's simplest to dedicate a machine to Zimbra, since it occupies mail
and web ports (for the web-based access), so don't plan to add it to
an existing web server (it CAN be done, but you're really better off
with a dedicated Zimbra server.

Feel free to email me off-list if you have any other questions about Zimbra.

Calvin Dodge