[K12OSN] Re: SATA vs. SCSI....buying a new server

pogson robert.pogson at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 19:03:37 UTC 2006

I don't do Windows if I can help it, but with Linux you save big time
using RAM to cache files and SATA to serve them. I am planning to put
three of these folks in my /home and http server in my system. I can use
RAID 1 to permit serving three files at once, and RAID 1 over
network ,drbd, to use two servers in  a HA cluster and the price of each
drive is $CDN 163.  I do not need speed as the /home files are fairly
low write rate and random reads.  With 2gb to cache stuff, the
frequently needed stuff will come from RAM. I will have 150 users
on /home and about 60 on http. My old system had about 30 users and the
drive light rarely flashed. My servers will work them harder than a home
PC, but not much because the http will be mostly to the same region of
disc (Moodle) and a user might save a few times in an hour. With MTBF of
600000h, I can afford a few in a RAID array.
http://www.samsung.com/

"SAMSUNG HD401LJ
SpinPoint T Series
T133 Series"
Specifications

Drive Configuration	Interface 		Serial ATA 3.0
Buffer DRAM Size+2		16 Mbytes
Bytes per Sector		512
Performance Specification 	Read Seek Time(typical)
Track to Track		0.8 ms
Average		8.9 ms
Full Stroke		18 ms
Average Latency		4.17 ms
Rotational Speed 		7,200 rpm
Data Transfer Rate
Media to/from Buffer (max.)		400/1000 Mbits/sec
Buffer to/from Host(max.) 300 MB/sec
Drive Ready Time(typical) 		10 sec
Reliability Specification	Non-recoverable Read Error		1 sector in 1014
bits
MTBF		600,000 POH<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<!!!
Start/Stop Cycles (Ambient)		50,000
Component Design Life		5 years<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Acoustics(Average Sound Power)	Idle		2.7 Bel
Random Read/Write		2.9 Bel
Environmental Specification	Temperature
Operating		0 ~ 60°C
Non-operating		-40 ~70°C
Thermal Gradient (max.)		20°C/hr
Humidity (non-condensing)
Operating		5 ~ 90 %
Non-operating		5 ~ 95 %
Linear Shock (1/2 sine pulse)
Operating, 2ms		63 G
Non-operating, 1ms		300 G
Vibration (swept sine, 0.5 octave per minute)
Operating
5-300-5 Hz		1.0 Go-p
Non-operating
5-500-5 Hz		2.0 G0-p
Altitude (relative to sea level)
Operating		-1,000 to 10,000 feet
Non-operating		-1,000 to 40,000 feet
Power Requirements	Voltage		+5V±5%,+12V±10%
Spin Up Current (max.)		800/2000 mA
Read/Write On-Track(typ.)		10.0 W
Seek+5(typ.)		10.5 W
Idle (typ.)		8.4 W