[K12OSN] Can you tell if client is i386 or PPC?

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Sat Jul 15 02:55:06 UTC 2006

On 7/14/06, Eric Harrison <eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us> wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
>
> > I am just finishing Fl_TeacherTool 0.33. I need some help to figure
> > out is there any way to discover if a certain client defined by
> > hostname wsxxx.ltsp or it's ip is either i386 or PPC?
> > Or maybe some env variable?
>
> The only thing I can think of is the kernel version, the apples have
> "ppc" in the kernel name. This might work (untested)...
>
>         ip=192.168.0.1
>         if [ "`/usr/bin/ltspinfo -h $ip -c KERNEL_VERSION | grep -i ppc`" ]; then
>                 echo "ppc"
>         else
>                 echo "i386"
>         fi

Thanks Eric but I just remembered that you probably didn't build the
Xvnc module for the PPC arch in the LBE. So it's really a moot point.
I am just going to state a known limitation in my release notes that
Monitor/Control will not work with PPC cpu clients. It fails
gracefully on PPC clients, which is good.

--
Robert Arkiletian