[K12OSN] RAID issues with K12 RC1

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Wed Jul 19 07:05:10 UTC 2006

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006, Jim Kathan wrote:

> This is primarily for Eric.
>
> The 64-bit RAID driver in the 64-bit version of FC5 within K12 is really old
> and outdated, from 2004, I believe. But even when I attempted to slip in the
> newest, I still received the same issues as before, but this time, it got to
> formatting 99% of the drive and then froze. I can get you the exact error if
> you like. I will try the RC2 tomorrow. Thanks for all the hard work!

If it freezed during installation, then RC2 won't make a difference to you :-(

The Fedora Unity Project is building re-spun versions of FC5 that use a
newer kernel for the installer:   http://fedoraunity.org/

The only download link I saw was for BitTorrent, so I hope you know how
to use that ;-)

In theory (I have not tested this in a while, so I may miss a step or two...),
you can do an install off of stock FC5 discs (or the re-spun Fedora Unity
discs) and manually set the K12LTSP network defaults:

 	eth0: 192.168.0.254/255.255.255.0
 	eth1: dhcp (or whatever static IP you have for your network)

After the OS install completes, download and install the k12ltsp-release
package. Currently that is:

 	wget ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/testing/5.0.0-64bit/x86_64/Fedora/RPMS/k12ltsp-release-5.0.0-0d.noarch.rpm

 	rpm -ihv k12ltsp-release-5.0.0-0d.noarch.rpm

The install the K12LTSP meta-packages:

 	yum install k12ltsp-core k12ltsp-education k12ltsp-extras

After the these packages and their dependancies are installed, run this
script:

 	/opt/ltsp/templates/k12linux/K12Linux-LTSP-initialize

and finally reboot.

If all the magic worked, you should now have a K12LTSP server.

-Eric