[K12OSN] OT off site backup

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sat Jul 22 16:00:02 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-22 at 09:37, Mark Gumprecht wrote:
> I had to do some reading to to understand the reply.
> http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/  . I also came
> across rsnapshot . That looks like what I want, my only concern is when
> I'm away and my GUI only users need to recover files, they probable
> won't be able to. After googling there seems to be a gui called grsync.
> Mark

Backuppc should be as efficient as these if you configure it
to use rsync over ssh as the transport.  Just do the first
run over a weekend and make sure you have a plan to do a
full restore (physically take the backup server where you
need it, do an 'archivehost' tar dump to DVD's or a laptop,
rebuild on swappable drives, etc.).  The current version
of backuppc needs to do full runs frequently but full
runs don't actually copy everything, they just turn on the
rsync option to to block compares on all files.  This
takes some extra time/cpu but not a lot more bandwidth.
The next version (a beta is out) will do incremental runs
based on the contents of the last incremental so it won't
matter.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com