[K12OSN] Servers, K12LTSP, and workstation numbers, etc.

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Jul 24 18:15:49 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-24 at 09:41 -0700, Huck wrote:

> Is there a way to support multiple Gig-E NICs on a server and have them
> send out 'blocks' of IP addresses to terminals? to breakup all of the
> traffic so it doesn't clog a single NIC?

Yes, but you have to physically segment the subnets.   If you already
have a 2-NIC layout it shouldn't be much different to add a 3rd
for a separate set of clients.  Assign an IP address in a different
private range and add it to the DHCP config.

> I assume since most of this is driven through DHCP that there is some
> method of telling it to hand out IP's and thus the PXE booting and all
> traffic via multiple NICS.

The next-server and root-path options the DHCP server gives out can
be set in the subnet scope to be the the server's interface on the
corresponding subnet.  It might take some other adjustments to
the setup to permit routing between subnets and NAT for all
of them but that should be straightforward.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com