[K12OSN] re: "UNIX group resolution from LDAP" (Peter Hartmann)

Matt Oquist moquist at majen.net
Thu Jul 27 16:20:00 UTC 2006

It sounds to me like you have at least two problems, and I can try to
help with one right off the bat.

> From: "Peter Hartmann" <ascensiontech at gmail.com>
> Subject: [K12OSN] "UNIX group resolution from LDAP"
> I'm having trouble joining the smbldap server from windows (although I
> can browse to the PDC in My Network Places and see a users home by
> entering a  username and password) and looking back I missed this:
>
> getent passwd | grep root
> root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
> operator:x:11:0:operator:/root:/sbin/nologin
>

> but not:
> root:x:0:512:Netbios Domain Administrator:/home/root:/bin/false
>
> although in webmin I see that root is in the secondary group of Domain
> Admins (512).
>

> also getent group doesn't output any of this type of stuff:
>
> Domain Admins:x:512:root
> Domain Users:x:513:ctrask,ntrask,otrask  (you know what I mean)
> Domain Guests:x:514:

It sounds like your machine isn't correctly configured to be an LDAP
client of its own LDAP server.

For FC, run 'authconfig' and make sure you're using LDAP and that the
LDAP info (server, DN, etc.) are correct.

For Ubuntu, I reommend using the smbldap-installer and running just
"./smbldap ldapclient". It'll ask you the questions and put stuff in
the right config files for you.

--matt

--
Open Source Software Engineering Consultant
http://majen.net/