[K12OSN] vlc multicast (whoohoo! ) pulling preferences : HOW-TO

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Jul 27 17:38:20 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 12:15 -0400, Peter Hartmann wrote:
> Then
> in Fl_Teachertool I run this command for the users that I want to view
> the multicast:
>
> vlc --config /path/to/my/good/config/file/vlcrc  udp:@224.0.0.1

Unless I'm missing something, this runs all the instances of vlc
on the server and the clients aren't doing anything with the multicast
at all - the video is delivered via X protocol.  And if you stream on
the same server it won't even traverse the switch connections.  That
may be the best approach for some small number of clients.  Another way
that might scale better at least with moderately fast clients would be
to run vlc as a local app separately on each client but you'd have to
come up with a different way to start it.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com