[K12OSN] Connecting a Printer - How?

Jim Wildman jim at rossberry.com
Sat Jul 29 04:13:27 UTC 2006

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006, Ken Johnson wrote:

> At home (on a Windows network) I have a print server connected to my router
> and any machine can reach my USB printer.
>
> Can I connect a commercial print server (D-link DP 300U) to the switch that
> feeds the clients? I don't want to attach the printer to a  workstation.

You don't say what type of printer it is, but basically you need to get
it on the network.  There are 3 ways to do this
1) Connect it to a computer (with a parallel or USB cable) that is also
on the network.  Use software (samba or cups) to share this printer with
others turning the computer into a 'print server'.
2) Connect it to a dedicated 'print server' which sits on the network.
(Sounds like you have this at home)
3) Connect it directly to the network, with no server (only possible
with a printer that has an embedded network card.  Laserjets often do).

#3 is easiest to setup, but has the downside that you may not be able to
'manage' the printer (and the printees) as well.
#2 is a nice touch if you have it, since the print servers are typically
cheap and small
#1 won't work for you, since the server is in another room.

You can also combine 1&2 or 1&3 to get some management.
Jim Wildman, CISSP, RHCE       jim at rossberry.com http://www.rossberry.com
Thomas Paine