[K12OSN] Re: K12OSN] Switch Issues

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Sat Jul 29 13:54:05 UTC 2006

My advice after spending a year in your shoes:

1) As has been alluded to earlier, put all the Win boxes in the lab
downstream of the ltsp server. Only the server will be handing them
addresses. Make sure that the ltsp server has whatever ports open that
the Win boxes might need when they are alive as Win boxes if they need
anything other than port 80. Also, remind everyone that these boxes are
no longer secure no matter what the district does since M'soft is
dropping security update support. You are doing everyone a huge favor in
getting them off the network.

2) Make your dhcp server bullet-proof. Hardcode the MAC addresses and
make your dhcp static. You never want to get accused of interfering with
the regular dhcp service. It simply is not worth it. Tell them this is a
separate deal and there is no way what you are doing will interfere with
their network. If it ever does, they'll use it as an excuse to kill your
project.

3) With the etherboot floppy in, you get ltsp. Eject it and you get
Windows (assuming the BIOS is set to floppy boot first which is almost
always is in something that old). If your Win boxes netboot, then it
would be easier - set them to netboot first in the BIOS. Then, if you
need Windows, just turn off dhcp on the server, they won't get an
address and will roll over to the hard disk. If you are already
etherbooting, sounds like the disk in/disk out method is easiest.

4) At the risk of being supremely redundant: remind everyone in your
district that you are very afraid with all the Win malware and that Win
95 is an unsupported platform, you have serious concerns that the kids
not be exposed to inappropriate content, their privacy compromised by
spyware keyloggers, etc. They may like the quaint white picket fence in
front of the school but it is absolutely insecure and putting the kids
inside at risk - and that's why you need a guard penguin (if anyone
reads "Pearls Before Swine", it conjures up images of Pig's guard duck).

Best of luck,
William Fragakis
morrisbrandon.com