[K12OSN] backup solution for K12

Gentgeen gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Sun Jul 30 21:55:53 UTC 2006

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 11:36:07 -0700
"Jim Kathan" <tkathan at charter.net> wrote:

> What's the simplest way to run daily or weekly backups for K12. should
> I just make a copy of the /home/ folder (which houses everyone's
> desktop and personal settings). will it be easy to import that back
> onto a new install of K12Fedora if something goes south? Will I have
> to redo all the file permissions?
>
> And, what's a good, reliable way to make a full backup of the Fedora
> install? I have used things like BackupMYPC before, and Symantec
> BackupExec for automated backups.
>
> Thanks!

I use a script from Jason Pepas.  You can find it:
    http://www.linux-backup.net/scripts/pepas.sh.txt

The script really is 3 files, 1 is the script, 1 is the "what to back
up" and one is the "what not to back up"  Pretty easy to use.

Put it in cron:
     # The next line happen everyday, of every month at 4:00 AM
     0  4    * * *   root   /usr/local/sbin/backup.sh

And you will get automatic incromentail backups, and then full weekly
backups.  Then at the end of each week, you get an email reminder :-).
I just burn that weeks worth of data onto a DVD and file it away.
(Thought you might have bigger needs then a DVD, the idea is the same)

--
http://gentgeen.homelinux.org