[K12OSN] v5 beta9 install notes

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Mon Jul 3 17:23:47 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-01 at 12:00 -0400, k12osn-request at redhat.com wrote:
> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 10:09:07 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Eric Harrison <eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us>
> Subject: Re: [K12OSN] v5 beta9 install notes
> To: "Support list for opensource software in schools."
>         <k12osn at redhat.com>
>
> On Fri, 30 Jun 2006, William Fragakis wrote:
>
> > Eric,
> > I tried installing via ftp last night and my gdm is dead, too. Plain
> > vanilla install using the defaults. I tried using yum update and
> that
> > made it worse as a bunch of cyrillic characters go across the screen
> > before I can copy down the error.
> >
> > I'd previously installed beta4 on the same system with no hitch but
> had
> > issues with yumex so tried to do a fresh install instead.
> >
> > Also a lot of errors are thrown during boot - access denied and
> services
> > failing. Could this be due to SELinux?
>
> That sounds like the font server issue I had on my
> laptop, /etc/X11/fs/config
> was missing. I had a /etc/X11/fs/config.rpmsave that I copied to
> /etc/X11/fs/config and all was well. (look for
> a /etc/X11/fs/config.rpmnew
> if you don't see a config.rpmsave).

config is there.

the X server error is (to the best of my transcribing abilities):

GDM:Xserver not found /usr/bin/Xorg :0 -audit -0 -auth

/var/gdm/:0.Xauth -nolisten tcp vt7

Error: Command count not be executed

Please install the Xserver or correct GDM configuration and restart GDM

- I'm also getting a ton of audit avc denied errors. Same issue or
something else? /etc/sysconfig/desktop was empty (actually had a couple
of hexdecimal characters) is this, too, correct? I tried sticking in
DESKTOP="GNOME" and that didn't help (or I didn't do it correctly- vim
is not, shall we say, intuitive).

Happy Holiday if you are off (we celebrate Independence Day on July 4 in
the US, an exercise in grilling food, shooting off fireworks, parades
and sunburn)

Thanks,
William