[K12OSN] Tux Paint - OO Writer Code to link them needed.

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Jul 4 15:22:13 UTC 2006

As a typical consultant/geek that was my answer :)

One of the things I do spend a large amount of my time on is testing
various FOSS packages.  I'm not a programmer by training or profession
although I have done plenty and more to do in the coming months. So I
tend to look at using existing packages first. I must have blinked over
the age of the kids on the original post. Scribus is NOT a tool for
little kids. It's rather complex. Somehow I got the idea that the need
for the desktop publishing was for teachers or older kids (middle
school).

Upon rereading the two original posts on the desired abilities, I can
see a partial solution for some aspects (a read-only template in
oowriter with some oo scripting to autosave with a date-named file - I
don't know how to implement this.) and a "My Tux Pictures" desktp link
to the ~/.tuxpaint/saved folder (easy). The link should open with the
desktop environment's file manager. Both gnome and KDE will display
thumbnails (or larger) of image files. At that point, it's easy to
drag-n-drop to an open template on oowriter.

A brief look at the 1100 page ooSDK developers manual is overwhelming!
In short, since the desired goal is a combination of system manipulation
and application-specific work, it will require some fairly serious
coding to make it happen. Java might work as well some C++ "glue" that
links into the openoffice API. This is, unfortunately _way_ outside of
my process.

It may be easier to add page templates to tuxpaint.