[K12OSN] IceWM vs Gnome

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Jul 5 13:26:30 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 13:58 +0530, Sudev Barar wrote:
> May be sligthly OT here.....but I recently installed Ubuntu6.06 with
> LTSP on a AMD-Athlon64bit Dual Core machine with 1000mbps ethernet on
> board and fast SCSI drive plus 4gb RAM.
>
> With gnome desktop running and ~20 users online I saw constant load
> level between 10-20 as reported by top. I thereafter changed the
> default windown manager to IceWM for all users and now the load level
> reported by top under same conditions is <2 all day long!
>
> Any one who can verify similar experience?

That sounds more like a bug than a normal condition. I have seen several
gnome things (gnomevfs in particular) become system hogs. I have seen
this happen when someone tries to run a windows binary (.exe) file and
wine is not configured. For some reason, gnome tries to handle it and
bad things happen.

However, IceWM is a much lighter weight window manager than either gnome
or KDE.
http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>