[K12OSN] SMB/LDAP management with Webmin Users and Groups module

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Thu Jul 6 14:17:23 UTC 2006

On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 18:02:42 -0400, Peter Hartmann wrote
> Wow! Thanks Jim this is awesome!  I just created a test user via
> batch file.  It's funny though if I try and add a user to the ldap database
> that's already a user on the system it returns : "Duplicate username
> at line 1 : [user]"  Question: Why should the ldap database care
> what's in /etc/passwd?   This machine is going to be a stand-alone
> ldap server so it's not set to authenticate the the ldap database.
> Umm..I don't have to set it for ldap auth do I?

No problem.  I forgot I even posted that :-)

I was messing around with a ton of things to try and get LDAP manageable and
finally got the Webmin tool to work.  I really wished it worked with the bulk
import scripts but it didn't create the samba users, I had hoped to get the
creator of the module to fix this, but it didn't seem to be a priority.

As far as your Duplicate username problem, I am not sure.  I would assume you
correct and it shouldn't care at all about what is in /etc/passwd.  Unless
maybe it isn't looking at /etc/passwd directly.  Maybe you have the users and
groups module set to sync local unix users to samba users, so there is already
a samba user that exists and it is this samba user that is causing the
duplicate?  I'll bet that is it.

Glad to see someone is getting some use out of this, maybe if its use really
catches on the bulk import scripts would be fixed and this could be a total
solution finally for samba management with a simple interface.