[K12OSN] ltsp ldap client setup

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Mon Jul 10 13:24:06 UTC 2006

Sorry for the short answer....it was late.  The issue is probably
nsswitch.conf.  There's no problem that I can se other than the
authentication is looking for local users first....it always does....so
you can use a few predetermined users (local) on the server....if for some
reason LDAP didn't work....you'd be locked out until you went into single
user mode and fixed some things.  You'll notice that /etc/nsswitch.conf
shows   "files ldap"  in that order......this basically means it checks
local first then ldap (as it should).  Now.....which version of the
smbldap-installer are you using?  What did you install onto
FC4...FC5...K12LTSP 4.4 or 5?  The latest version, as Matt indicated in
his post, has an issue with a "dbus" timeout that appears to be directly
related to nsswitch in FC5 (K12LTSP 5).  I'd limit the number of local
users on the server to just a few to keep from confusing things.  Let me
know what versions you're using and we'll take it from there.