[K12OSN] Server specs....how low can you go?

Angus Carr acarr at saskforestcentre.ca
Mon Jul 10 17:29:39 UTC 2006

I've found that if the console is fast enough, the client is fast
enough. What I do with my home system (admittedly a little faster, but
whatever) is load the likely files into RAM by creating a VNCserver
which preloads openoffice, firefox, thunderbird and kate into a gnome
session (my users' default wm) so that the programs are already running.
The RAM footprint is worth the decreased startup. This is all done by a
dummy user on a firewalled vnc session, so nobody ever sees it.

It's cheesy, but is works.

Angus.