[K12OSN] Server specs....how low can you go?

Carl Keil carl at snarlnet.com
Tue Jul 11 02:37:34 UTC 2006

Hi,

I wanted to take a second to reply to this, since it's one of the few things related to k12ltsp that I'm at all qualified in.  Right now I'm rockin' 3 thin clients on my home network.  It's 100BaseT cabling.  3 assorted clients.  An Amer T500, an old Gateway E-1000 and an Oracle NIC.

Anyway, the server is a Dell 400SC that I got new on ebay for about $350.  I've got 2 Sata drives in it one for /home and one for everything else and I upped the RAM from 512 to a Gig.  I think the CPU is 2.23 GHz. or thereabouts.  Upping the RAM made a huge difference in performance.  I personally think that the SATA drives are probably unnecessary at this level too.  I'm probably going to get a gig uplink Switch when I add another client or two.

I find performance for the very apps you mention to be excellent.  Many people use the terminals without knowing or caring that they are thin.  No complaints, or even comments.

Like this, only at 2.23 I can't hyperthread the processor.  I'm not sure that would make much difference anyway.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Dell-PowerEdge-400SC_W0QQitemZ110005762254QQihZ001QQcategoryZ51140QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

HTH

ck