Re: [K12OSN] NFS?NIS

How do I set up /home mounted with nfs on another server?
I am looking at a maximum of 25-30 clients. It is unlikely they would online simultaneously. About 70 user accounts.

Currently I have a AMD 2500XP machine with 2 GB Ram and 120GB Sata HD running as the K12LTSP ( v4.2.1) server. The main thing holding me back from updating the server is dealing with the user authentication and /home. With this system it would be much easier to update even if I still keep only one LTSP server.
I have another identical box (Actually has a bit less memory at present.) I was thinking to use this as Backuppc server, Koha server, Asterisk etc..
I have a low powered box that I thought would manage the authentication and /home. It is only a PII450 128MB RAM. How would that manage if I put a sata card in it?

On 12/07/06, Jim Kronebusch <jim winonacotter org> wrote:
On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 08:05:56 +1200, Krsnendu Dasa wrote
> I like the sound of a central LDAP server. That would make upgrading
> K12LTSP a lot easier. Also makes the option of parallel
> loadbalancing K12LTSP servers practical. What sort of machine would
> you recommend as SMBLDAP server with /home mounted on it. HD would
> be important of course. What about RAM and CPU?

I suppose like most things, it would depend on how many users simultaneously,
and the amount of data written to the drives.  As far as LDAP goes, I can't
imagine that is very intensive at all.  I would have to imagine a 500mhz box
with 512mb RAM would server a few hundred users.  But since in most scenarios
for setting this up you are probably looking to manage a handful of servers,
you are probably looking at quite a few users and a lot of drive traffic.  So
I would recommend a striped SCSI raid array for the /home share and at least a
1ghz processor.

I am sure someone (David) might have some good info on real life load to give
you and then you could possibly scale up or down accordingly.

Probably a good rule of thumb, don't make the drive array any less than you
would use in any single LTSP server.