[K12OSN] linux roving profiles needed??

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at rogers.com
Wed Jul 12 18:06:06 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 18:04 -0700, Nathan Shaffer wrote:
> Is there something we need to set up for the Gnome desktop profiles
> that differ between the LTSP labs and the classroom workstations such
> as roving profiles?  (software should be the same since all are
> being upgraded to use LTSP 4.4.1 whether server or desktop).

I think you mean "roaming profiles".

You could mount all of the desktops' /home file systems from the LTSP
server.  That way students could log into their accounts on the fat or
thin clients, and get the same desktop profiles.

If that causes too much of a load on the LTSP server, set up a separate
NFS box.  Mount /home from the NFS box on the LTSP server and fat
clients.  Effect will be the same as above, minus the increased I/O load
on the LTSP server.

HTH,

Ranbir

--