[K12OSN] OT - Open-Xchange

Mike Ely mely at rogueriver.k12.or.us
Fri Jul 14 01:48:32 UTC 2006

We're using Zimbra here, too.  I moved to it from a somewhat shaky
exim/postfix setup midyear, partly in response to user demand for
free-busy scheduling etc.

So far, my experience has been mixed.  First off, they really, REALLY
prefer RHEL as the base distro, although they're also supporting SLES.
Personally, I'd greatly prefer a Debian version with vendor support, but
c'est la vie.

I'd agree with Calvin that you want to dedicate a machine to it, or as
in our case give it a fairly beefy vmware partition.  Once running, it's
pretty nice - uses our existing LDAP server for auth, and the ajax-y
features are actually pretty slick, although they load considerably
slower than, say, squirrelmail.

Shared folder/calendar access via Outlook plugin comes this summer
supposedly - a feature which sadly is needed to gain more heavy usage
amongst the people with initials after their names.  I'm looking forward
to training staff on that before school starts this fall.

All in all, I'd give it a qualified thumbs-up.  Plusses are: school
district discounts, powerful and easy-to-use administrative tools,
excellent web client, decent spam filtering, all built on open-source
software, and very good tech support.  Minuses: too redhatty, slower web
client, and Outlook integration isn't quite done.

Hope that helps,
Mike