[K12OSN] Re: SATA vs. SCSI....buying a new server

I don't do Windows if I can help it, but with Linux you save big time using RAM to cache files and SATA to serve them. I am planning to put three of these folks in my /home and http server in my system. I can use RAID 1 to permit serving three files at once, and RAID 1 over network ,drbd, to use two servers in  a HA cluster and the price of each drive is $CDN 163.  I do not need speed as the /home files are fairly low write rate and random reads.  With 2gb to cache stuff, the frequently needed stuff will come from RAM. I will have 150 users on /home and about 60 on http. My old system had about 30 users and the drive light rarely flashed. My servers will work them harder than a home PC, but not much because the http will be mostly to the same region of disc (Moodle) and a user might save a few times in an hour. With MTBF of 600000h, I can afford a few in a RAID array.
http://www.samsung.com/

"SAMSUNG HD401LJ
SpinPoint T Series
T133 Series"
Specifications

Drive Configuration Interface Serial ATA 3.0
Buffer DRAM Size+2 16 Mbytes
Bytes per Sector 512
Performance Specification Read Seek Time(typical)
Track to Track 0.8 ms
Average 8.9 ms
Full Stroke 18 ms
Average Latency 4.17 ms
Rotational Speed 7,200 rpm
Data Transfer Rate
Media to/from Buffer (max.) 400/1000 Mbits/sec
Buffer to/from Host(max.) 300 MB/sec
Drive Ready Time(typical) 10 sec
Reliability Specification Non-recoverable Read Error 1 sector in 1014 bits
MTBF 600,000 POH<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<!!!
Start/Stop Cycles (Ambient) 50,000
Component Design Life 5 years<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Acoustics(Average Sound Power) Idle 2.7 Bel
Random Read/Write 2.9 Bel
Environmental Specification Temperature
Operating 0 ~ 60°C
Non-operating -40 ~70°C
Thermal Gradient (max.) 20°C/hr
Humidity (non-condensing)
Operating 5 ~ 90 %
Non-operating 5 ~ 95 %
Linear Shock (1/2 sine pulse)
Operating, 2ms 63 G
Non-operating, 1ms 300 G
Vibration (swept sine, 0.5 octave per minute)
Operating
5-300-5 Hz 1.0 Go-p
Non-operating
5-500-5 Hz 2.0 G0-p
Altitude (relative to sea level)
Operating -1,000 to 10,000 feet
Non-operating -1,000 to 40,000 feet
Power Requirements Voltage +5V±5%,+12V±10%
Spin Up Current (max.) 800/2000 mA
Read/Write On-Track(typ.) 10.0 W
Seek+5(typ.) 10.5 W
Idle (typ.) 8.4 W