[K12OSN] Gnome disappeared

Hi,
two mysterious things happened this evening:

1) When logging on terminal, it starts to KDE.
2) Arts-message
Sound server informational message:
Error while initialising the sound driver:
edevice /dev/dsp can't be opened (Permission denied)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

Maybe the message has been there even before, this wasw the first time starting
KDE.
Gnome is not in the log-on list, but yum shows it is installed ( of course).

I don't remember just now the file where the optional desktops are, so I have
not checked it yet.

Just to inform, to ask help and wondering if this nhas anything to do with yum
updates made lately.

Yuors, mikkoj

Lainaus Rob Owens <hick518 yahoo com>:

On Mon, 2006-10-07 at 09:22 -0600, Jason Neiffer
wrote:
> How low can I go on the specs?  I was looking at
> http://k12ltsp.org/install.html and it suggested
that I could get away
> with something as low as a PIII/1gig or faster.
Would that be a
> workable solution in this environment?  How about
if I wanted to use
> K12LTSP 5 when it was released?

I'm currently running Ubuntu with LTSP (not Muekow) on
a 2.0 Celeron with 768 MB RAM.  I use the server and 2
thin clients, and don't have any problems at with it.
The system is a bit slow to open applications, even
running them at the server.  But the speed isn't any
worse on the clients.

The only thing I notice w/ the clients is that the
screen gets a bit "jumpy" if I have a spreadsheet open
and I grab the scrollbar and quickly scroll to the
bottom.  I've noticed that one client is worse than
the other in this regard.  The better one has an old
AGP video card, and is connected to the server through
a single switch.  The worse one has an old PCI video
card and is connected to the server through 2
switches.  All network connections are 100Mbit.

I once booted about 6 clients off of this machine,
logged into Ubuntu with GNOME and with GCompris
running.  The server started swapping at this point.

I consider the performance with 3 users (one at the
server and 2 at the clients) to be acceptable.  I live
in New Jersey, USA, in case that gives you an idea of
what my performance expectations might be like.  I'd
like to have a faster computer, but my wife keeps
telling me the one we have is good enough (she uses it
primarily with Firefox and OpenOffice, while I do some
video editing).  I find that I prefer to use XFCE
instead of GNOME because it makes things a bit
quicker.

-Rob