Re: [K12OSN] K12LTSP 5 RC2 64-bit Fl_TeacherTool Broadcast

On 7/21/06, James P. Kinney III <jkinney localnetsolutions com> wrote:
Hi all. I have been configuring a dual Opteron system as the server and
ran up on some glitches in the Fl_TeacherTool setup (up to and including
v.34).

On the instructions page, several libs are copied into the /opt/ltsp/..
space for the clients to use. I found that the line:

#cp /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 /opt/ltsp/i386/lib/

Eric H. integrated the setup (and required modules) of fl_tt into K12LTSP 5.0. Those instructions are for versions of K12LTSP prior to 5.0. I have updated the instructions on my fl_tt site for version 5.0. A few days ago Eric posted:
==========snip==========
Fl_teachertool 0.34 packages have been added to the K12LTSP 5.0
repositories.

I also updated the ltsp_i386-config package to include a sample
configuration for enabling the vnc control/monitor feature.

After the updates, all you need to do is:

1) edit /opt/ltsp/i386/lts.conf and uncomment the "X4_MODULE_02 = vnc"
  line

2) run:

       /usr/bin/vncpasswd
       cp -R -p /root/.vnc /opt/ltsp/i386/root/

3) reboot your terminals....
====snip=============

So you don't need to copy any libraries anymore with 5.0.

will cause all of the vnc-related tools to fail on the 64-bit version. I
will be testing the 32-bit this weekend. I reverted back to my saved lib
(Good call on that! ) and noticed the lib sizes were tremendously
different.

I still have not been able to see anything happen other than a password
box appear on the teacher and client machines when testing the Broadcast
function.

One last note: The screen shots on the web site show client data of
user, host, MB and PIDS. But on v.34 I get IP address instead of host.

Yes, I have not updated the screenshots. However, I can tell you switching to ip instead of hostname really made fl_tt faster.

I thought the Instructional Technology guy I was with today was going
start dancing when we launched firefox with the exact desired website
onto nearly 24 machines at once! There were 3 systems that the launch
did not happen on. Still investigating.

Please let me know if you find any bugs with fl_tt.

Very nice tool!

Thanks! :)
Let us know if everything works.

--
James P. Kinney III          \Changing the mobile computing world/
CEO & Director of Engineering \          one Linux user         /

<jkinney localnetsolutions com >