Re: [K12OSN] Upgrading FC1 K12LTSP server

On Sat, 2006-07-22 at 16:07 -0700, Carl Keil wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I run yum anything on my old k12ltsp server nothing happens.  Yum
> does its thing and reports back "no packages found for obsoletion or
> deletion" or "nothing needs upgrading" (paraphrasing here).  What I'm
> thinking is that I never set it up for all the legacy stuff.  I thought
> I had, but to no avail. Anyway, lately I've been trying "yum upgrade"
> thinking I could bring this thing up to date and get back into the swing
> of things with this server, but that's not working either.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions about how to upgrade this box?  BTW -
> this is my backuppc box, I installed FC1 via the k12ltsp distro though,
> so that's why I'm asking here.  Somehow I think this complicates the
> "yumminess" of this box because it has the k12ltsp repos and stuff.
>
> Any thoughts?  Do I need to download the isos and do a cd upgrade or is
> there a yum way to do this?

In short, the easiest way to go is to get a CD set and upgrade from
that. There are significant differences between FC1 and FC5 that make it
difficult (but not impossible) to do the upgrade via yum.

To upgrade via yum you will need to manually upgrade a small pile of
files then manually migrates some stuff that won't happen without
anaconda and then you can upgrade with yum.

See:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq

for some notes on how to do this. Be aware that any database you have
will most likely need to be saved using its dump process and restored
after the upgrade. In fact, it is a good practice to do a database dump
before any upgrade of the database system(s) for both mysql and
postgresql. Postgresql has a general rule that the rpm upgrade path
ignores of requiring a dump->upgrade->restore cycle.