[K12OSN] NASD vs ESD

Gentgeen gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Mon Jul 24 18:11:52 UTC 2006

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 12:48:10 -0400
"Timothy Hart" <timothy.hart at gmail.com> wrote:

> What are people out there using for sound and why? I got esd to work
> on most programs. I can't play any media on a terminal though (ogg or
> wavs). Not sure why though. Anyone?
>
> Tim

Most multimedia apps that I have run into (mplayer, xine, xmms, etc) all
need to have esd.  This might be in a command-line, or in a config file,
or under the preferences... just depends.

Most of the games my kids play, all require the esd wrapper (esddsp) to
get sound to work.  Since I use LTSP in my home, there server is also a
termial.  With that "difficulty" I set up a script for the kids games.
an example (using frozen bubble):
#!/bin/sh
if [[ -n "$DISPLAY" && $DISPLAY == *boss* ]] ; then
   exec esddsp /usr/games/frozen-bubble -nm -sl -l1
   # next used for those games that will not play at all on "boss"
   # xmessage -buttons OK -center \
     "Sorry, this game can not be played on this computer."
else
  if [ "$DISPLAY" != ":0.0" ]; then
      echo "running $0 with esd wrapper."
      exec esddsp /usr/games/frozen-bubble
  else
      echo "running $0 without a wrapper."
      exec /usr/games/frozen-bubble
  fi
fi
echo "end esd wrapper script"

Then the icon on their desktop points to this wrapper instead of to the
actual frozen-bubble binary.

What you see is....

If user is at the "Boss" machine (a very old P1 with a 2MB graphics card
and 64MB RAM), then run frozen bubble with simple settings.  (For some
of the kids games, they just get a "sorry will not work here" xmessage)

If the user is at any of the other terminals, then run frozen bubble
with the ESD wrapper

If the user is at the server, then just run frozen bubble "straight"

Hope that helps some.

Kevin

--
http://gentgeen.homelinux.org