Re: [K12OSN] Basic LTSP Question

On 7/24/06, Dan Young <dyoung mesd k12 or us> wrote:
Brian wrote:
> In reading about K12LTSP, it seems like to connect to the Terminal
> Server, you need to do a network boot of sorts.

This is typical, but not required.

> Is this true or can you 'RDP' in to the server like a Win Terminal Server?

An RDP equivalent can be used; VNC, NX, and X are all options.

> I was looking to experiment with K12LTSP on an old 500MHz machine and
> was going to connect to it from my laptop, but in reading, it looks like
> you need the client machine to be dedicated and not running another OS
> and then connecting to the Terminal Server.
>
> Am I correct or could I boot in to XP and then connect to the LTSP server?

You certainly could use a VNC client, FreeNX, or X/Win via Cygwin in
Windows.

Or run a VMware Virtual Machine in Windows and use pxe boot.

--
Dan Young <dyoung mesd k12 or us>
Multnomah ESD - Technology Services