[K12OSN] LTSP load balancing (on as many servers as you want!)

I've just implemented a simple-to-administer load balancing mechanism
for LTSP. Gadi articulated the idea while we were at NELS, and we're
talking with Jim about making it part of LTSP. But before that would
ever happen, this feature needs some testing, and you can help.

If you install the patch, you can list your application servers (that
is, any Linux box with XDMCP enabled) in lts.conf and your thin
clients will (deterministically) choose one of your application
servers at random when they start their X servers. If the chosen
server isn't pingable, the thin clients will remove it from the list
of servers and (deterministically) choose at random from the remaining
list of application servers.

If/when this becomes part of LTSP, all you'll need to do for automated
load balancing is list your servers in the configuration file.

Read the directions and and grab the patch at
http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/WorkInProgress#X_Load_Balancing

Feel free to email me with any questions or comments (or ideas!),
and/or pop into #ltsp on irc.freenode.net to chat.

--matt

--
Open Source Software Engineering Consultant
http://majen.net/