Re: [K12OSN] OT off site backup

Mark Gumprecht wrote:
I use BackupPC at all my locations (6). What do some of you use for off-site backup? I recall, but can't find, someone mentioning box backup. I have tape drives, but my territory covers 440 square miles and getting people to actually remove the tapes doesn't seem to work. I have T-1 lines at all locations so on-line backup is what I am leaning toward.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Mark

Mark,
I haven't tried this, so I'm not sure it will work. What if you setup your 6 backup servers with LVM such that the backup pool files were on a separate partition and the LVM volume has enough extra room to create a read only snapshot of that partition. Then you could have a script stop backups, create snapshot, restart backups, and then rsync the snapshot to the remote location. On the remote end, you could have 6 partitions for the 6 backup servers. After each remote partition is snapshot and rsynced, you could dump it to tape. If there is not enough room for all 6 partitions, you could create them one at a time from the latest good backup.

Thanks,

Dale