[K12OSN] OT off site backup

Dale Sykora dalen at czexan.net
Tue Jul 25 14:20:55 UTC 2006

Mark Gumprecht wrote:
> I use BackupPC at all my locations (6). What do some of you use for
> off-site backup? I recall, but can't find, someone mentioning box
> backup. I have tape drives, but my territory covers 440 square miles and
> getting people to actually remove the tapes doesn't seem to work. I have
> T-1 lines at all locations so on-line backup is what I am leaning toward.
> Any thoughts appreciated.
> Mark

Mark,
    I haven't tried this, so I'm not sure it will work.  What if you
setup your 6 backup servers with LVM such that the backup pool files
were on a separate partition and the LVM volume has enough extra room to
create a read only snapshot of that partition.  Then you could have a
script stop backups, create snapshot, restart backups, and then rsync
the snapshot to the remote location.  On the remote end, you could have
6 partitions for the 6 backup servers.  After each remote partition is
snapshot and rsynced, you could dump it to tape.  If there is not enough
room for all 6 partitions, you could create them one at a time from the
latest good backup.

Thanks,

Dale