Re: [K12OSN] Servers, K12LTSP, and workstation numbers, etc.

Incredibly SIMPLE!!!

=)  Thanks for the link!

--Huck

Jim Kronebusch wrote:
2. Switch independent method: use adaptive load balancing with the bonding module. This requires that the kernel drivers for the NICs support changing the MAC address on the fly for each NIC. (NOTE** The cheap Hawking cards don't work with this as the r8169 driver must be unloaded to change the MAC address).

What all of the bonding method does is allow multiple Gb NICs to appear
as a single IP address so you have higher bandwidth for the clients.

Here is a howto for NIC bonding in Linux:

http://www.linux-corner.info/bonding.html

For load balancing instead of failover simply change the "options" line in
/etc/modprobe.conf to:

options bond0 mode=balance-alb

This only takes minutes to setup and as far as I know has virtually no limit
as to what and what type of NIC's you bond.  Of course, I am sure there is a
practical limit.

I don't have any specific data but I have been using teamed adaptors for 3
years now on dumb dell switches.