[K12OSN] Re: Servers, K12LTSP, and workstation numbers, etc.

Daniel Howard dhhoward at comcast.net
Tue Jul 25 19:28:09 UTC 2006

>I am running up to 45 clients (I feel it can top 60) with dual core
64bit AMD running Ubuntu and Icewm forced for all clients.

>Hundreds? Off a single server? With shell access yes but for GUI you
may end us with some beefy server.

>-- Regards, Sudev Barar

Does Ubuntu and Icewm reduce the bandwidth per client that much?  Jim
Kinney and I tested Tuxmath on K12LTSP/FC5 and as conventional wisdom
from this list predicted, it ate 18 Mbps per client (CW is 15-20 Mbps
max for highly animated screens).  Since Ethernet protocol starts
coughing at 70% load, this means a single GigE NIC port can handle max
of 35 clients using the 20 Mbps number (although we found TuxMath died
earlier due to the way the app itself is written, and so Jim has
downgraded the max # clients spec accordingly).  But if you can put 60
clients on yours that means Ubuntu/Icewm only maxes out at 12 Mbps per
client.  How does TuxMath or heavy animation flash games like Bubble
Shooter work on your set up?  Can you do video?

Daniel