Re: [K12OSN] Server choices

On 7/26/06, Michael Blinn <mblinn peopleplaces org> wrote:
  I'm nearing the purchase point of my terminal server, but I thought
before laying down the serious $$, I should get the opinions of those
who have been there before!

  I'm partial to Dell servers because the ones that I have had in the
past have worked very well. They don't (yet) offer AMD products. They've
quoted me on an Intel 64-bit dual-processor dual-core system w/ 8GB of
ram and a two raid arrays (one system array @ RAID1, one /var, /home
array @ RAID5). It will be using a PERC SAS controller card hooked to
(2+5=) 7 146gb drives to accomplish this. With three gigabit cards (two

why are you using 146GB for the / OS? A full install is not more than 12 GB. Stick /tmp on the raid 5 and use smaller but faster (15k rpm scsi) for the / raid 1.

BTW I think Intel and therefore dell are going to drop their prices in the next week. Also check to see if you are getting the new Woodcrest Xeons. They are much faster than the old Nocona netburst Xeons.

for two separate subnets and one for external interface), the grand
total came in around $6,500. This leaves me $1500 in the budget for 4
terminals & monitors and two switches to round out the testbed.

  Does FC4 or FC5 (and therefore k12ltsp) support Intel's 64-bit
architecture? If not, does someone have a good source for reliable
Opteron servers?

  I have no experience with hardware RAID on the Linux side of things.
Dell said they'd provide RHEL drivers for the RAID card - can these be
used in Fedora? How does one set up the arrays prior to OS installation?

Thank you to everyone - I've enjoyed reading the archives, especially
the newer posts about local devs and NIC bonding to remove that bottleneck.

Many thanks,
  Michael Blinn

--

If this is my day of harvest, in what fields have I sowed the seed, and
in what unremembered seasons?