Re: [K12OSN] vlc multicast (whoohoo! ) pulling preferences : HOW-TO

to run vlc as a local app separately on each client

That sound like a great idea.  Hopefully you could just ./configure a
slim vlc for the clients that wouldn't need the extensive list of deps
that vlc normally needs. *maybe* you wouldn't even need wxwindows if
you new how to set a maximized view from the command line. Just the
thought of compiling all its deps by hand with the LBE makes my head
hurt.  Come to think of it I never could find any documentation on how
to design configure scripts for the LBE. Anybody know where I could
find thos docs? if you did have it set up that way i think one could
just just precede the command i had with:

ssh $LTSP_HOSTNAME

That's assuming you had the ssh keys set up.

Unless I'm missing something, this runs all the instances of vlc
on the server and the clients aren't doing anything with the multicast
at all - the video is delivered via X protocol.

You're right I just reset my settings on the switch and it still works
using the same address so I guess it wasn' t involved at all.   who
knew!

Thanks,
Peter

On 7/27/06, Les Mikesell <les futuresource com> wrote:
On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 12:15 -0400, Peter Hartmann wrote:
> Then
> in Fl_Teachertool I run this command for the users that I want to view
> the multicast:
>
> vlc --config /path/to/my/good/config/file/vlcrc  udp:@224.0.0.1

Unless I'm missing something, this runs all the instances of vlc
on the server and the clients aren't doing anything with the multicast
at all - the video is delivered via X protocol.  And if you stream on
the same server it won't even traverse the switch connections.  That
may be the best approach for some small number of clients.  Another way
that might scale better at least with moderately fast clients would be
to run vlc as a local app separately on each client but you'd have to
come up with a different way to start it.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les futuresource com