Re: [K12OSN] lessons learned on smb/ldap setup in centos4

After a long detour stepping my way into Linux (like first moving DNS and Mail from NT server to Linux), I am back at converting my NT domain to Linux.

I am committed to Centos, which is now at 4.3 and very soon at 4.4.

So I see that Centos is still not listed as a supported platform, but then RedHat Enterprise is not listed either.... Is the script mods listed below still apply (months later and newer versions)?

Next skip after script for my next questions...

Mark Gumprecht wrote:
For those interestedin the 4.2.1el smb/ldap setup here's what I've been
able to reproduce. Using Matt's 2.0 alpha version of the installer, and
an install of the 4.2.1EL version of centos4 without the LTSP package.
This is the change I made to the distro_data.pm.

###################################
 "centos4" =>
 {
   # this needs to be set because smbldap-tools-0.8.6-1 puts utilities
in here
   PATH => "/usr/sbin",

   media_mnt_point => { cd => "/media/cd.*", },
   rpms =>
   {
     'perl-Convert-BER-1.31.*.rpm' =>
     {
       medianames => "script",
       path => "PWD/rpms",
     },

     'perl-Unicode-Map8-0.12-*.rpm' =>
     {
       medianames => "script",
       path => "PWD/rpms",
     },

     'perl-Crypt-SmbHash-0.02-*.rpm' =>
     {
       medianames => "script",
       path => "PWD/rpms",
     },

     'perl-Unicode-MapUTF8-1.09-*.rpm' =>
     {
       medianames => "script",
       path => "PWD/rpms",
     },

     'perl-Jcode-0.83-*.rpm' =>
     {
       medianames => "script",
       path => "PWD/rpms",
     },

     'perl-Unicode-String-2.07-*.rpm' =>
     {
       medianames => "script",
       path => "PWD/rpms",
     },

     'perl-Unicode-Map-0.112-*.rpm' =>
     {
       medianames => "script",
       path => "PWD/rpms",
     },

     'smbldap-tools-0.9.1-*.rpm' =>
     {
       medianames => "script",
       path => "PWD/rpms",
     },

     'binutils-2.*.rpm' =>
     {
       medianames => { cd => "cd #1", },
       path => "Fedora/RPMS/",
     },

     'perl-HTML-Tagset-3.*.rpm' =>
     {
       medianames => { cd => "cd #1", },
       path => "Fedora/RPMS/",
     },

     'cpp-3.*.rpm' =>
     {
       medianames => { cd => "cd #1", },
       path => "Fedora/RPMS/",
     },

     'perl-libwww-perl-5.*.rpm' =>
     {
       medianames => { cd => "cd #1", },
       path => "Fedora/RPMS/",
     },

     'perl-URI-1.*.rpm' =>
     {
       medianames => { cd => "cd #1", },
       path => "Fedora/RPMS/",
     },

     'perl-HTML-Parser-3.*.rpm' =>
     {
       medianames => { cd => "cd #1", },
       path => "Fedora/RPMS/",
     },

     'samba-common-3.*.i386.rpm' =>
     {
       medianames => { cd => "cd #1", },
       path => "Fedora/RPMS/",
     },

     'samba-3.*.rpm' =>
     {
       medianames => { cd => "cd #1", },
       path => "Fedora/RPMS/",
     },

     'perl-XML-NamespaceSupport-1.*.rpm' =>
     {
       medianames => { cd => "cd #2", },
       path => "Fedora/RPMS/",
     },

     'perl-XML-SAX-0.*.rpm' =>
     {
       medianames => { cd => "cd #2", },
       path => "Fedora/RPMS/",
     },

     'perl-LDAP-0.*.rpm' =>
     {
       medianames => { cd => "cd #2", },
       path => "Fedora/RPMS/",
     },

     'perl-Convert-ASN1-0.*.rpm' =>
     {
       medianames => { cd => "cd #2", },
       path => "Fedora/RPMS/",
     },

     'gcc-3.*.rpm' =>
     {
       medianames => { cd => "cd #3", },
       path => "Fedora/RPMS/",
     },

     'openldap-clients-2.*.rpm' =>
     {
       medianames => { cd => "cd #4", },
       path => "Fedora/RPMS/",
     },

     'glibc-devel-2.*.rpm' =>
     {
       medianames => { cd => "cd #3", },
       path => "Fedora/RPMS/",
     },

     'glibc-headers-2.*.rpm' =>
     {
       medianames => { cd => "cd #3", },
       path => "Fedora/RPMS/",
     },

     'glibc-kernheaders-2.*.rpm' =>
     {
       medianames => { cd => "cd #3", },
       path => "Fedora/RPMS/",
     },

     'openldap-servers-2.*.rpm' =>
     {
       medianames => { cd => "cd #3", },
       path => "Fedora/RPMS/",
     },

     'perl-IO-Socket-SSL-0.*.rpm' =>
     {
       medianames => { cd => "cd #3", },
       path => "Fedora/RPMS/",
     },

     'perl-Digest-SHA1-2.*.rpm' =>
     {
       medianames => { cd => "cd #1", },
       path => "Fedora/RPMS/",
     },

     'perl-Net_SSLeay-1.*.rpm' =>
     {
       medianames => { cd => "cd #4", },
       path => "Fedora/RPMS/",
     },
   },
 }, # end centos4

 ###################################

Then I did the CPAN Bundle::install thing
OK, I am still very green with Linux, I have done a few makes and such.

Right now I am doing the: install Bundle::CPAN
Next, I ran the script(make all) and noted all the rpms it could not find.
I ASSuME that if I am missing some, getting them (I use yemex and have DAG repos included) and restarting causes no harm.
I then Went to the DAG (weirs) Site
http://dag.wieers.com/packages/ And downloaded any packages that the script said that were missing and
dependencies that the rpms called for.  Once all the packages were
installed and the script completed successfully, I rebooted.
At this point ldap seemed to consistantly fail. Go into the /etc/openldap/ldap.conf and delete the TLS entry. Then I start ldap,
I see that TLS is not being used for LDAP rep yet so this makes sense.
service ldap start. It then ran fine.
Then continue on with david's directions on testing the install.

THE THINGS THAT GOT ME
1. Firewall & SELinux , I shut them off. I'm not smart enough to get it
to work through the firewall.
I turned them off at install time.
2. CUT & PASTE. One would think I would learn by now...DO NOT CUT AND
PASTE. Doing this can sometimes introduce hidden formatting charactors
that will hose you. Thanks to Derek Dresser for pointing that out.
Really not hard to use.
3. The TLS thing being in the ldap.conf file.
4. Originally setting the file server up on a different network. I just
couldn't seem to figure out how to combat that, soooo I reloaded on the
network that it was going to be on and that cured many little issues.
This is a 'real' concern with me. I am replacing an NT domain PDC, and I do not want to play with names.

So I have set up a separate network where I can install, the IP addresses are changed slightly, I hope this will not be a problem? I have my host.conf going to my hosts file before bind, and I have my server setup in the hosts file....

If I have to set up a whole dummy DNS, I can, I have done it for things like unlocking PAP2 boxes...
5. Paying attention to were the smbldap tools are located and adjusting
the script and or tools location to make it work.
Would like to know more on this one.
Hopefully this will help someone else with their install.
Yes.

Well the Install Bundle::CPAN finally ended with various warnings.

Should I just proceed? There was a comment early in the install about being back-leveled and to do some update or other, but it scrollled off the screen.