[K12OSN] RE: [Ltsp-discuss] What distribution should I use?

Paul VanGundy vangundypw at sau14.k12.nh.us
Thu Jun 1 16:44:21 UTC 2006

All,

Ubuntu all the way. :)

-Paul

--
Paul VanGundy
Information Technology Director
Epping High School
Epping Middle School
P: 603.679.5472
F: 603.679.2966
vangundypw at sau14.k12.nh.us
Registered Linux User #398783

-----Original Message-----
From: ltsp-discuss-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:ltsp-discuss-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Eric Holt
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2006 12:36 PM
To: ltsp-discuss at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Ltsp-discuss] What distribution should I use?

Damien:  I havnt posted on here in a while, but I saw yours and thought I'd
respond and give you an answer you probably wont here from anyone else on
the list...  Go with Slackware!  Slackware is an extremely stable
distribution which makes it a great server operating system.  It may be
slightly trickier to setup LTSP on, but when you do, you'll be thrilled.
I've never used CentOS, so I cant comment on it.  My father uses SuSE on his
desktop and loves it, but he's said many times that he'd never think of
using SuSE on a server.

Check it out.  Dont dismiss Slackware just because its a lesser-used
distribution or that its a little more difficult to setup.  Its one of the
oldest if not THE oldest distribution still around, and does have a very
loyal user-base.  I've used it in conjunction with LTSP now for nearly two
years and the stability of it is just amazing.  I'd be glad to give you a
hand getting it setup if need-be.  Just ask!!! :)

HTH,
   --Eric