[K12OSN] VNC and LTSP terminal client problem

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Thu Jun 1 20:24:15 UTC 2006

Casey Mynott wrote:

> ps. Is their a way to actually remotely connect to the server using VNC
> so I can log in as root to the server rather than the terminal login
> that I am getting? Thanks!

If you use SSH to connect to the server, you can create a tunnel for VNC to use to
connect to the server, like so:

ssh -L 3700:localhost:5900 server

You'll get a normal ssh session, but while that's running, point your local vncviewer at
localhost:3700 and it will be redirected to the server's 5900 port where the xvncserver
is listening.  TightVNC has this ability built-in I believe, but I tend to use this
method because it works no matter what.  It's also handy for tunneling other things like
  doing Webmin management, etc.

Petre