[K12OSN] LTSP 4.4.1 client booting fails

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Tue Jun 6 23:01:13 UTC 2006

Gavin Chester wrote:

> I tried installing 4.4.1 many times on my server without success on any
> of the points above.  I also configured services manually after bootup.
> I didn't know enough to do it thoroughly, so it never worked.  This was
> a shock to me because when I used earlier versions of K12LTSP everything
> just worked, even though I didn't know Linux at the time and certainly
> didn't know how to configure networking services.
>
> This time around, I finally got my system working by choosing to install
> ONLY the default settings.  That is, when I had installed 'everything'
> or made extensive package selections, making sure to include LTSP, my
> server would end up not working for my clients.  The only way I finally
> cracked it was to choose the default 'LTSP' install option and not
> change any other package choices that came with that (save substituting
> KDE for Gnome).  Now, everything works just fine, phew.
>
> If other people are having similar problems (?) maybe the installer
> scripts need a little look, Eric (if you're reading)?
>
> I HTH, Hung.  Post a followup if it does.
>
> Gavin.

If I am reading this correctly, when you had problems you selected a
normal (Fedora option) install and clicked on the "Customize" packages
and added the K12LTSP packages?

If this is correct, that is the issue you are having. The "K12LTSP"
option automatically runs the LTSP configuration scripts at the end of
the install, the "Fedora" option does not even if you pick a custom
install and select the K12LTSP packages. This actually can work, but you
have to 1) make sure you have the network and firewall configured
correctly (the K12LTSP install option does this by default) and 2) you
run this script after the install has completed:

    /opt/ltsp/templates/k12linux/K12Linux-LTSP-initialize

If you pick the "K12LTSP" install option, you can customize the package
select as much as you want and still have the terminals auto-magically boot.

-Eric