[K12OSN] RE: [OT?] Rdesktop connections

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Fri Jun 9 03:44:11 UTC 2006

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com>
writes:
>I have the same issue. I am also not able to get sound to work. I am
>running M$ win 2003 sever. Can anyone give me some suggestions?

This came from Gideon Romm originally....you'll need to edit lts.conf

Burt, if you want sound through rdesktop, you will need to sacrifice
sound through Linux.  It is one or the other.  Here's why:

As you surmised, rdesktop thru esd does not work well.  rdesktop needs
to write directly to /dev/dsp in order for sound to work properly.  The
only way to do this, is to run rdesktop off the thin client AND not have
a sound daemon of any kind running of the thin client at the same time.
This is because any sound daemon (such as esd/nasd) will take control
of /dev/dsp and not allow rdesktop to write to it.

So, If you want sound from Windows on the thin client, you should do
something like this:

SCREEN_02 = "rdesktop -r sound:local 192.168.0.253"
SOUND = Y
SOUND_DAEMON = "rdp"

and on the WTS, uncheck "Disallow Audio mapping"

Now, you will have Windows sound on screen 2, but no linux sound.

Side note:  SOUND_DAEMON = "rdp" will produce a warning when booting the
thin client that "rdp" is not a recognized daemon.  This trick is used
to have the thin client load the sound modules, but not a daemon.  If
SOUND_DAEMON is omitted, esd will run by default.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Director
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcsvikings.org