[K12OSN] file permissions for different groups?

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sun Jun 11 19:24:59 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-06-11 at 14:11, Krsnendu Dasa wrote:

> >In case that's not clear - first chgrp the directory to the
> >right group ownership, then chmod g+s the directory to make
> >the files added inherit the group ownership.  RH/fedora based
> >systems already have a default umask of 0022 which makes the
> >file permissions work for this.
> >

> I am having problems with umask. I want permission automatically set for
> group write access, read only access for others. So I changed to root
> and did
> #umask 0002
> When I login as another user and try to create a directory it denies me.
> When i do umask for that user it tells me 0022.
> I thought that changing umask while in a directory changes the umask for
> the directory, or is it a per user setting. If so, how do I change all
> users umask to 0002? Or do I have to specify which directory to set the
> umask for?

Before you do this, make sure you understand the reasoning
for setting it to 0022 in RH/fedora which is that by creating
a group for every user, you do not automatically have any
additional privileges permitted.  That is, there are no
members but yourself in your default group.  Now, if you ever
want to permit shared access somewhere, all you have to do is
create groups with appropriate members or add members to your
own group.  If you did not already have group access arranged
it is much more difficult to add it later.

Now if you still want to make the change, it is set for most
things in /etc/bashrc.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com