[K12OSN] Great video processing program

Dr. Daniel Loomis drloomis at cox-internet.com
Tue Jun 13 01:14:45 UTC 2006

For those of you working with students to convert .avi video to .mpeg
for use in making DVDs, I can wholeheartedly recommend KmPg2.  I use it
to convert mjpeg videos from my Canon digital camera into beautifully
rendered mpeg2 with AC3 audio ready to be mastered using DVDStyler.
Ideally,  original videos should be 640x480 or higher.  But even videos
shot it 320x240 look fairly decent when scaled up to 720x480 NTSC video
format.  KmPg2 can even convert videos to 16x9 widescreen.

The author is very helpful and works hard to resolve any kinds of
difficulties that arise.
KmPg2 does require some KDE libs, especially Kommander, since it is
essentially a collection of Kommander scripts that access ffmpeg and
other commandline utilities.

Ideally, a dual cpu (perhaps also dual core) server is best for
processing large videos, as the program takes good advantage of
multi-threading.  It even has a check box to run the processes in a
lower priority so that it won't bring your system to its knees.

For assembling mjpeg or other .avi files, I have found avidemux2 to be
very simple to use.  Just open the original file and then /file/append
additional clips.  avidemux2 will also convert .avi to .mpeg but the
results are not as good as with KmPg2.

Check it out at:  http://kmpg2.sourceforge.net/view.php/page/Voorpagina

Dan