[K12OSN] Shutting clients down: was tight vnc connection to ltsp client refused (111 error)

Wed Jun 14 15:26:38 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-30 at 11:26 -0700, Eric Harrison wrote:
> Edit /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf and append:
>
> 	[192.168.0.10]
> 		ALLOW_SHUTDOWN = Y
<cut>
> Etc, etc. All you have to do is connect to TCP port 9200 on a terminal
> and type "shutdown" (or "reboot"). That's all there is to it.  Note that
> there is no username or password required, there is no logging of who
> did the dastardly deed, no firewall protection for the terminals' port
> 9200, simply no protection what-so-ever.

Isn't there any plans of getting an authenticated reboot/shutdown
function implemented.

> Hopefully that clearly illustrates why enabling ALLOW_SHUTDOWN is
> currently a REALLY BAD IDEA in most environments (especially in the
> environments targeted by K12LTSP).

Sure, but as an extra plus for an authenticated shutdown/reboot would be
a "normal" logout/shutdown/reboot option on a client. I've had a lot of
people complaining about that they couldn't shutdown their clients!

- and the possibility to automaticaly shutdown clients after the
facility closes ;-)

--
Henning Wangerin <post+050629 at henning.wangerin.dk>