[K12OSN] ping not responding to name

Krsnendu Dasa krsnendu108 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 19:15:29 UTC 2006

Hi,
I have a K12LTSP 4.2.1 set up with SMBLDAP authentication.
When I try to ping a computer in the windows workgroup by name it never
responds. It does respond to the ip address however.
It also takes a long time for all the computers in the workgroup to come up
when you click "View workgroup computers" in windows.
Another thing that seems related it that a short time after installing
SMBLDAP and a couple of new windows xp computers my cygwin logons to K12LTSP
became really slow. (Like ten minutes.)

Any clues how to fix this?
Is it to do with Wins, dns etc.?

--