[K12OSN] Rdesk top sound

Angus Carr acarr at saskforestcentre.ca
Thu Jun 15 20:36:05 UTC 2006

Andrae Findlator wrote:
> Please read below and let me know what you all think. Would this work
> well?
> Could it be a part of th LTSP 5 setup?

> Can rdesktop on linux be given the option of routing sound output
> through a
> sound demond such as ESD on linux. The reason is I want to run k12ltsp
> with
> sound from windows (rdesktop) and sound from linux at the same time
> with out
> sacrificing one or the other. Is this possible?
>
> I got this response from the rdesktop team:
>
> if you use artsd and start rdesktop through artsdsp ( see artsdsp
> --help )
> and
> route artsd through esd.
>
> Example:
> something like this,, using 8bit with 22000 sounds ok with webradio,
> but if
> you play mp3:s with headphones you might use cd quality instead :) it's
> quite
> a big difference in network load. :\
> artsd -a esd -r 22000 -b 8
> path/artsdsp path/rdesktop -k us mytsserv
>
> I haven't tried, but since artsd got builtin support for network
> connections
> it might be possible to redirect sound from the terminal server to artsd
> directly....
>
> oh.. I missed the -r sound flag but you get the general idea :)

I just tried this (on 5 beta 5) with the following command line using esd:
esddsp --server=$ESPEAKER rdesktop -D -xm -P -a 16 $LTSP_RDP_SERVER -r
disk:home=$USERHOME -g workarea -r sound

and it nominally works. Well, sort of. It has atrocious lag. I'm not
counting terribly precisely, but it comes out at around 5 seconds.
That's ok for playing with but doesn't cut the mustard for real usage.

When I use rdesktop from the console it works normally with almost no lag.

Angus Carr.