[K12OSN] NCLS-TuXlabs for Schools: A smashing success!

Peter Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Mon Jun 19 02:24:22 UTC 2006

All-
We just finished our 2-day TuXlabs for Schools conference in
Minneapolis, and I must say I think it was a terrific success.  On Day
1, we gave a series of presentations and demos on K12LTSP.  We had about
25 newcomers from around the state of Minnesota attend, representing
public and private schools and colleges. Most (all?) newcomers seemed
quite interested in what K12LTSP can do for them.  Some even offered to
help host future events.  Hopefully, we will see at least some of them
on this list.

Day 2 was a seriously geeky series of presentations and discussions
about storage methods, the new LDA & the nifty things one can do with
FUSE, and the future of LTSP.  We got to hear from Chris Hertel from the
Samba team, and Scott Balneaves and Jim McQuillan.  There were even a
few newcomers from the first day present, although I think they all had
previous Linux experience.  I was delighted at the diversity of
technical backgrounds represented, which really made for a fruitful and
wide-ranging discussion.

So, we all got to evangelize to a captive audience on one of our
favorite subjects, and we all got to learn some things (I learned some
neat things, anyway).  We had several servers and lots of different
clients, showing both version 4.4.1 and the 5.0 beta.  One clever,
serendipitous thing we did was use a thin client at the podium for the
OOo Impress presentations.  Rather than have each person plug his laptop
into the projector, as is usually done, each person just put his
presentation onto a USB stick, plugged it into the client, and via the
magic of the new LDA in version 5, was able to do the presentation right
from the stick.  This also makes it much easier to get a copy of each
presentation for posting to the website (just drag it onto the desktop,
and they all end up on one server).

It would have been nice on Day 1 if we could have had a break or two
lasting 30-45 minutes in which we would encourage the newcomers to play
around with the clients.  We did have breaks, and people did play with
the clients, but more time for specifically doing so would have been
better.  The problem is where to find the time for this.  As it was, Day
1 ran from 9am to 3:30pm, with an hour or so for lunch.  By 3pm people
were reaching their saturation point, so we really could not make the
day run any longer--although even then people hung around to play with
the clients!  But we'll have to think about this for future conferences.

We'll do it again.  Minnesota has a two-day teacher in-service in
October every year, so we may move to those days to avoid conflicting
with NELS.

I want to thank Eric Brown, Jim Kronebusch, Burke Almquist, Joe
Wiedenmeier, Jeremy White, Chris Bacigalupo, Bill Schwalbe, and David
Markovich for their help in presenting LTSP to the schools.  And a thank
you to Jim, Scott, and Chris for presenting to us.  This truly is a
great community, and this was a terrific group effort with wonderful
results.  I'll get some pictures posted somewhere in a few days.

Petre