[K12OSN] Edubuntu - K12LTSP

Andy Rabagliati andyr at wizzy.com
Fri Jun 23 16:53:08 UTC 2006

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006, Simon Faulkner wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I understand that the latest Edubuntu has k12LTSP built in?
>
> How do you do it?
>
> With the Fedora version you select K12LTSP during build then jut plug a
> terminal into the second network card and it works - how simple!
>
> I there a howto for K12LTSP on Edubuntu 6.06?   I have surfed and read a
> lot but none seem to show me...

K12LTSP has an entire separate environment for the client, a quiet
backwater of operating system with waves made only by new X servers.

Edubuntu creates the client environment from the mainstream kernel,
drivers and glibc, at install time. It can take a while.

This makes it less stable, but has the huge advantage that apt and dpkg
work there, so you can install local apps, for instance. (There is a lot
more to getting local apps to work - ssh tunnels and things).

The advantage from Canonical's perspective is that there is only one
kernel to maintain.

And it all fits on one CD.

I think that if you are an experienced administrator, you can use their
server environment (gdm set up correctly, font server tweaks) and if you
don't like their client, install the LTSP one.

That is what I do - mainly because only LTSP4.2 has local devices.  Yaay.

Cheers,  Andy!